A skylight lets the sunlight stream into your home to warm you on cold winter days. It also provides natural lighting all year long, which reduces your need for artificial lighting. However, nothing lasts forever, so you will want to replace it before leaks develop and cause damage to the roof and interior of your home. There are several indications it is time to replace your skylight.
The lifespan of a typical skylight
The lifespan of skylights varies by manufacturer and other factors. Weather conditions in your area, type of roof, and normal wear and tear over time all play a part in the condition of your skylight. If the skylight was installed when you bought your home, you may not know the exact age. The rule of thumb is skylights should be replaced every ten years. If your home is older, it is a good idea to have the skylight inspected by a professional.
Signs your Skylight should be Replaced
If you are fairly sure your skylight is nearing the end of its lifespan or you have doubts about its condition, here are several warning signs to indicate you should replace it now.
- Age– As previously stated, skylights should be replaced at around ten years. If you know this is the case, there is no need for further inspection. This is the time to schedule an estimate to replace it.
- Visible Cracks – If you can spot cracks, even small ones, it won’t be long before larger cracks start to appear. This affects the stability of the glass. These cracks may be due to age or weather-related damage. Hail is known to be a major source of cracks in skylights. Debris thrown on the roof during a storm also can cause damage.
- Leaking – This one is a no-brainer. If you notice leaks, time is of the essence. Skylights are mounted on the roof and leaks may cause damage to the surrounding area of the roof, walls, and even the wood structure. Try not to put off replacement and repairs if this is the case.
- Discolored glass – Any type of change in the look of the glass may indicate a larger problem is present. The window may have a foggy or yellow appearance. Sometimes, this is evident by a change in the amount of sunlight streaming into your home.
- Damage to the Roof – Leaks elsewhere on the roof are indication leaks may also be present around the skylight. Water under the roofing shingles may have affected the seal. If repairs are being done to your roof, also inspect the skylight.
These signs are a good indication your skylight needs to be replaced but they don’t take the place of a professional inspection. A certified roofing contractor with experience in your area will know the faults of different types of skylights and can quickly identify any problems.
Skylight Installation and Technology
Modern skylights are manufactured to have increased lifespans and be more durable. Small living spaces appear larger with a skylight and larger rooms will have a comfortable warm feeling.
- Installation – A contractor experienced in skylight installation can help you choose the optimal placement. The seal and flashing must be done correctly to ensure there are no leaks during all weather conditions.
- Technology – Recent innovations in skylight manufacturing include electronically controlled tinting, which lets you remotely change the tint to vary the amount of sunlight and heat entering the room. Another upgrade available is Tubular skylights. Primarily used for providing light in a smaller space. These have been around for years, but are still very popular today.
Benefits of Replacing Your Skylight
A new skylight with the latest technology is going to be more energy efficient and you will start saving on your utility bill right away. Waiting will not be cost-effective, considering your energy expense will rise as the skylight becomes compromised over time. Replacing your skylight when installing a new roof is recommended, but you shouldn’t wait for an extended amount of time if a new roof is not in the budget shortly. You will be increasing your energy costs while budgeting for a roof replacement. Many homeowners don’t realize the impact a modern skylight has on your home. Energy Efficiency, Curb Appeal, enhanced appearance, and interior comfort in your living space are all benefits you will enjoy with this addition.
Please contact Trico Exteriors to discuss installing or replacing a skylight. We have been proudly servicing customers in the Charleston, Myrtle Beach, and Hilton Head areas since 1973. Customer service is our goal. Trico installs quality Velux Skylights. Our technicians are experienced and knowledgeable in roofing and skylight installation. We will be happy to answer any questions regarding skylights or any of our services. Give your home a great new look by adding a new skylight!