Did you know signs of roof trouble for your Charleston-area home may not always appear on your roof first? Roof repair in Charleston can be tricky, not just to diagnose the problem but to find the right solution. Here are signs in five categories that may indicate you need roof repair in Charleston:
- Discolored shingles?algae or mold growth from excessive moisture
- Fading color on shingles?too much of the shingle granule coating has washed away
- Stains on ceilings inside your home?misaligned shingle underlayment allows leakage
- Mold or mildew on ceilings or walls?inadequate attic ventilation traps moisture
- Leakage in the attic?faulty shingle underlayment or problems with metal flashing
- Leakage into interior ceilings?this could be as simple as a missing roofing nail leaving a hole, or as subtle as water entering around loose chimney flashing, traveling along the plywood roof sheathing, and dripping down far from its origin
- Water condensing on the underside of plywood roof sheathing in your attic?you?re trapping moisture in the attic
- Blistering, peeling paint inside or out?poor attic ventilation is increasing humidity
- Discolored, buckled, decayed siding?this can start as an attic ventilation problem, trapping heat that expands outer siding materials
- Missing, curled or cracked shingles?Asphalt shingles only last 15 to 20 years; these are signs they are ready for replacement
- Dents, dings or chips out of your shingles?Your Charleston-area home has hail damage
- Widening spaces between shingle tabs?Again, the shingles are past their prime and need replacing.
- Your summer energy bills are rising?your Charleston home?s attic is trapping heat due to poor ventilation
- Year-round energy bills are rising?Poor attic ventilation can cause moisture to condense on roof rafter, dripping onto insulation and reducing its R-value.
- Finding a reliable contractor for roof repair in Charleston can be challenging, especially after a major storm or hurricane. Avoid contractors who show up uninvited, offering to repair or replace your roof right away, without inspecting it.
- Be assertive in selecting a contractor for roof repair in Charleston?ask questions about their company?s history, their ability to work with insurance companies, how long they have been in business, and where their business license was issued.
For more help with roof repair in Charleston for your home, contact us at Tri County Roofing and Siding.[button url=”/repair-maintenance/” color=”red”] Roof Repair & Maintenance [/button]